Imagine that you’ve been waiting to play Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC while your console-playing brethren have smugly been playing for over a year, then finally your day comes and the bloody thing won’t even work. That’s the problem facing a whole host of PC players at the moment, who have found themselves unable to even launch Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC since it released yesterday.
There are a plethora of problems being reported with the game over on Reddit, with there seemingly being a number of bugs and issues even if you do manage to get the game working. The bulk of the problems definitely seem to be to do with getting the game to launch though, and Rockstar has released a patch for the Rockstar Games Launcher to try and address the issues. The patch has a number of fixes for issues related to launching Red Dead 2, as listed below:
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error “The Rockstar Games Launcher failed to initialize” on startup
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher preload decryption getting stuck and not completing
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error “The Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly” when launching Red Dead Redemption 2
- Fixed an issue that resulted in crashes when starting the Rockstar Games Launcher from the Epic Games Launcher
- Fixed an issue that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error “Unable to launch game, please verify your game data” when launching Red Dead Redemption 2 from the Epic Games Launcher
Rockstar has also been active on Twitter, urging players to follow a number of steps to try and alleviate the issues, such as updating video card drivers and disabling anti-virus.
Please ensure that you have the most up to date drivers when launching Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC
For help updating drivers, please see https://t.co/ODg3QRTvaz
— Rockstar Support (@RockstarSupport) November 5, 2019
Despite the Launcher’s patch and these tips on Twitter, a lot of players are still reporting that the issues aren’t resolved, with many players calling it “the worst game launch ever”. Disgruntled players on Twitter are being urged to open a support ticket only to then effectively be told that Rockstar are working on it, while some players who opened a support ticket first were then told to keep an eye on Twitter, where people are being told to open a support ticket. It’s a seemingly endless cycle of no answers and no fixes for players, which is always likely to cause anger.
Rockstar need to fix these issues quickly. It’s not likely to put players off playing Red Dead Redemption 2 when the problems are resolved, but this is the first big game launch for the Rockstar Games Launcher which doesn’t bode well for the future. We’ll keep you updated as and when the issues are resolved.