The SMG and Compact SMG were only recently added to Fortnite. However, due to player feedback they are quickly getting nerfed with a hotfix (already released) which has reduced how effective they are. In the Fortnite subreddit, Epic games said the following:
“SMGs are stronger than we would like at the moment”
They also detailed the changes they have made to them (full changes can be found below). The nerf seems to be full-scaled with all major stats reduced including damage, range, accuracy and fire-rate. According to Epic these changes bring them “more in line with where we want them”.
Full Fortnite SMG changes:
- SMG and Compact SMG accuracy bonus reduced from 35% to 15%.
- SMG damage reduced from 19/20/21 to 17/18/19.
- Compact SMG damage reduced from 23/24 to 21/22.
- SMG fire rate reduced from 13 to 12.
- Compact SMG fire rate reduced from 11 to 10.
- SMG, Compact SMG, and Silenced SMG damage falloff.
- Range reduced from 2400/3500/5000 to 2000/3000/4000.
- Percentage reduced from 100/80/65% to 100/70/40%.
- Rare SMG and Compact SMGs drop rates slightly reduced.
If there’s one thing we can say about Epic, it’s that their dedication to Fortnite is great. They’re always releasing new content (albeit mainly cosmetic), and they’re constantly tweaking things so it stays more or less balanced, and from this hard work and dedication has come a game that has quite literally taken over the world. Good for them.