Fortnite’s latest patch is now live, with the standout new feature being the addition of a split-screen mode on PS4 and Xbox One.
The addition of a split-screen mode is one that has been much-requested by players, so there are sure to be a lot of happy players tonight. Split-screen is available in either Duos or Squads, allowing PS4 and Xbox One players to play alongside a friend on the same console. Epic is keen to iterate that this is an early release of the feature, and they promise to improve it over time. It’s obviously had some early teething issues, as the feature is currently disabled due to an unspecified issue, but Epic is promising to keep players updated as and when the feature is re-enabled.
Due to an issue, we have temporarily disabled the Splitscreen feature.
We’ll provide an update when this has been is re-enabled. pic.twitter.com/Qx4o7cAvxt
— Fortnite Status (@FortniteStatus) December 12, 2019
Elsewhere in the games 11.30 update, you can now preview what’s new in the in-game Item Shop by using the Party Hub mobile app, and the daily Item Shop gifting limit has been increased from 3 to 5. Epic has also changed the ammo indicator so that it shows an actual number rather than just a solid bar, and you can now choose when to transition from the “Eliminated By” screen to the end-of-match XP screen.
There are also a bunch of bug fixes to round out the patch, and you can read the full patch notes here. If you’re too lazy to click on a link then don’t worry, because I’ve included the patch notes below anyway. You’re welcome.
- Introducing Split Screen.
- Play Duos and Squads with a friend on the same PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.
- This is an early release of Split Screen; we will continue to improve the feature. Please report bugs via the in-game Feedback tool.
- Preview what’s in the Item Shop using your mobile device.
- With Party Hub, you can now preview what’s new in the Item Shop before loading into the game.
- To do this, open Party Hub, swipe right, and tap “Preview Items.”
- Increased the daily Item Shop gifting limit from 3 to 5.
- Changed Ammo Indicator.
- Now a visual representation of remaining ammo number rather than a solid bar.
- You can now choose when to transition from the “Eliminated By” screen to the end-of-match XP screen.
- To transition to the end-of-match XP screen, press “Continue” on the “Eliminated By” screen.
- Made preparations for the Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker live event at Risky Reels on December 14, 2 PM ET.
- Resolved an issue involving the Safe Zone setting on Xbox One returning to 1.00 upon each login.
- Resolved an issue involving some trees and metal fences in Arena not granting the correct material increase.
- The Magma Wrap now appears correctly on the Bandage Bazooka and Pistol.
- Resolved an issue involving the Bandolette Outfit appearing to have two hairstyles merged together.
- Resolved an issue involving some items from the Twin Turntables set appearing grainy and pixelated.
- The Social menu Friends List on mobile devices no longer auto-scrolls to the top when players try to scroll down.
- Resolved an issue involving players’ Quick Bar being inadvertently defaulted off on mobile devices.